God Fulfills His Promises


How great is the love of the Father 

that we're called the children of God

Abram, a man whose years almost exceeded a century's, was surprised by the presence of God. Abram being in the presence of a Holy God fell facedown as God spoke to him.

God made a covenant with him 5 chapters before this point. The covenant He speaks now is entirely different though. This covenant was so certain, God changed Abram's name to Abraham and his wife's name Sarai to Sarah. So that it would be an everlasting reminder of the promise.

'Your name will no longer be Abram, but your name will be Abraham, for I will make you the father of many nations. I will make you extremely fruitful and will make nations and kings come from you. '
Genesis 17:5-6 
Abram means "exalted father."
Abraham means "father of many."

'God said to Abraham, “As for your wife Sarai, do not call her Sarai, for Sarah will be her name. I will bless her; indeed, I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she will produce nations; kings of peoples will come from her.'
Genesis 17:15-16
Both names, Sarai and Sarah come from the root word "princess."  I believe this is simply sealing the promise that we are His children and He is our Heavenly Father.
Isaac means "laughter." I think this is slightly ironic since both Abraham and Sarah laughed at God telling them they would bear children in their old age.
'I will keep My covenant between Me and you, and your future offspring throughout their generations, as an everlasting covenant to be your God and the God of your offspring after you. And to you and your future offspring, I will give the land where you are residing — all the land of Canaan — as an eternal possession, and I will be their God.”'
Genesis 17:7-8

Do you notice that it says "I will be there God" in verse 8? This covenant was made with a physical and spiritual promise.

God fulfills Abraham's promise of a rightful descendant in chapter 21.  

But what about the other spiritual promise part? 
'Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his Seed. He does not say “and to seeds,” as though referring to many, but referring to one, and to your Seed, who is Christ.'
Galatians 3:16
The first part of the verse says that the promises were made to Abraham and to his Seed. Why is the "S" capitalized, you may ask. Because it is referring to the One who is the Messiah. And who is the Messiah? Christ. Jesus Christ is the promised descendant who will bless all nations. 

Christ means "anointed one" or "chosen one." 

The covenant of the Savior, Jesus Christ, was the promise God made to Abraham. We know that God first promised a Savior to Adam and Eve, 2,000 years before Abraham. Another 2,000 years after Abraham, fulfilled that great covenant with all. 

Sometimes we ask God for things that we may think we need right this very moment, but God knows best. He will answer you. It may be in a couple of years or 2,000 years from now. He is faithful. He will never let you down. He will always be with you. He loves you more than anyone else will.

As you know, I quit my Hostess job at Dinner Bell the week before my Mission Trip. So I need another job. I decided not to worry about it during the week of the trip, because I wasn't going to worry about what I knew was going to be okay. I knew God would take care of me. I prayed that He would.
He has provided another job for me at the perfect timing! If you ever happen to see me at Walmart, just say 'hey'! Because that is where I'll be!

As His children, remind yourself of that promise He has with you. You are a descendant through His Seed. Isn't it wonderful to be a child of His?

God fulfills His promises.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motivational Inspiration/ /Living Temple

Motivational Inspiration + Book Review/ /Finding Worth

Motivational Inspiration/ /Cast Your Care